23 Mar Did You Know These 5 Knee Facts?
Our bodies are capable of some pretty incredible things, things we take for granted. Our knees are one of the most important joints in the human body and we may not pay them the attention they deserve. The knee assists in essential movements we use in everyday activities like walking, sitting, standing and running.
We don’t often think about the amazing things our bodies can accomplish. That’s why we wanted to shed some light on these 5 crazy knee facts!
You Won’t Believe These Crazy Knee Facts
- You can walk without your kneecap. In cases where someone shatters their kneecap (partially or entirely), their kneecap continues to dislocate, or they have severe arthritis, it may be recommended that they have kneecap removal surgery. Although it sounds intense, you’d still be able to walk afterwards. The only difference is you’d have to wear protective gear when kneeling!
- A flamingo’s knees bend backwards.
- The first record of the use of the phrase “the bee’s knees” dates back to the 18th Century.
- Humans are the only species of primate that walk on two legs all of the time. Our knees are designed to fully extend and “lock” into place. Because most primates’ knees don’t operate like ours, they have to use a shocking amount of muscle power to support their body weight on two legs, so they mostly get around on all fours.
- Every time you take a step your knees are bearing 3x your bodyweight, and up to 5x if you’re walking down stairs or downhill.
Bet you never knew that knees could be so interesting!
Love these fun facts about knees? Subscribe to It Bandz for fun updates and specials on our knee bands.
Want to know more? Check out these 13 Need to Know Knee Facts!